Thursday 28 June 2012

Under Water Post Process Effect



I guess the idea for this came from Bioshock, a few weeks a go a friend of mine asked if it was possible for my to create an underwater post process effect for him (thanks for the idea Dave). I already had a shader from Microsoft (can't remember where I got it) that I used for a nice ripple effect on 2D images, so I thought I should be able to adapt that to do this effect. And that is exactly what I have done with this.

It is not perfect as I am using a shader that was not intended for this effect, but it gives you an idea of how to go about doing it.

Here is a shot of the shader being used as intended on a background image.

The post processing code in this sample is all thanks to Chr0n1x, with out his tutorial written for the HazyMind Engine I would not have a clue how to create post processing effects.

Controls
Esc - Exit
AWSD - Translate Camera
Mouse - Rotate Camera

GeneralXNAUnderWaterPP.zip

1 comment:

  1. Hey Charles, Jordon here. Can you upload the source for the under water post process effect? I am aware the source code might be 'old' and I would greatly appreciate it. I figured out how to run XNA 3.1 on Windows 10. Majority of my game projects were created in XNA 3.1 and I am converting them over to XNA 4.0 (which I also go working on Windows 10) and MonoGame. Thank you for all of your awesome tutorials and blog post

    ReplyDelete